Who We Are
In just eight years, Ruth’s List has helped 50+ pro-choice Democratic women win.
Inspired and supported by EMILY’s List and top Democratic women leaders in Florida, Ruth’s List was founded in April 2008.
We are dedicated to building a progressive Florida by recruiting Democratic women and helping them win elections to key state and local positions around Florida.
We accomplish this with training, campaign assistance, fundraising, and a network of members giving their skills, time, and finances to help women win.
And we have a winning record:
- In 2010, every one of our endorsed candidates won her primary.
- In 2011, we endorsed and helped elect three Tampa City Councilwomen, taking back two seats held by Republicans.
- In 2012, Ruth’s List retained our incumbent, progressive, Democratic women in the Legislature and won 5 new seats for a total of 20 victories in 3 years
- In 2013, we won four out of four races: three city council races and a special election turning a State House seat blue.
- In 2014 months, Ruth’s List has added another 15 victories, including a hard-fought Miami-Dade County Commission race that was held by a Republican incumbent, two Sarasota City Commission races in which Ruth’s List women beat Republican incumbents and we helped turn a Jacksonville City Council seat blue after 8 years of Republican leadership.
- In 2016, we won 26 races at all levels, including a Hillsborough County Commission and flipping a State House seat red to blue.
- This election cycle, we have won 3 special elections! These include Senator Annette Taddeo who made history by becoming the first Latina Democrat to be elected to the Florida Senate, State Representative Margaret Good in House District 72, and Eileen Higgins for the Miami-Dade Commission.
In the 10 years that Ruth’s List has been working, we have helped elect more than 81 women to office, raised more than $4,000,000 for our endorsed candidates, and trained more than 1,400 women to run for office in Florida.