Ruth’s List Florida seeks a Chief Executive Officer who is a strong, political expert and strategic leader to take the organization through its next phase of growth. Ruth’s List Florida comprises a 501(C)(4) organization, Ruth’s List Florida Action that houses a Political Action Committee (PAC), Ruth’s List Florida, Inc. It is the only organization dedicated to recruiting, training, and electing progressive, Democratic, pro-choice women candidates to state and local offices in Florida, with a focus on flipping the leadership in Tallahassee and building a vibrant bench of candidates from the local level. Started in 2008 by former Chief Financial Officer for the state of Florida, Alex Sink, Ruth’s List has established itself as an influential, highly reputable, and effective entity poised for continued growth.
The position also requires the separate management of a 501(c)(3) organization, Her Florida, Inc. Candidate should possess knowledge of the legal status and regulations around a 501(c)(3).
Working in partnership with the Board of Directors, donors, and constituents, the successful candidate will lead the organization into its next phase by building on its current successes, growing its visibility, expanding a diverse membership, and increasing its resources. The successful candidate will help build a legacy with the organization by impacting the state’s political landscape through the cultivation and election of progressive women who are champions of reproductive choice.
● Leadership. Establishes an excellent working relationship with the Board of Directors through regular and transparent communications that include shared agreement about strategic goals and objectives and clearly defined roles and responsibilities for board and staff. Maintains an efficient process for addressing issues related to strategy, resource development, governmental, political and ally partner relationships, finance and human resource issues. Demonstrates strong interpersonal competence in developing teamwork to achieve goals.
● Fundraising. Diversifies the organization’s funding base beyond its major gifts program and successful events. Maintains and enhances the major gifts program as well as expands the small donor base through innovative strategies, including use of social media into diverse geographic areas.
● Candidate Recruitment and Training. Expands and delivers the organization’s successful and dynamic recruitment and training efforts. Identifies, assesses, cultivates and recruits talented individuals for opportunities across the state for all levels of government. Creates and grows inventory of women for candidate pipeline.
● Communications. Develops and executes compelling strategies, consisting of internal and external communications for all stakeholder groups including candidates, donors, partner organizations, volunteers and the press. Exhibits proven public speaking skills. Excels at identifying compelling themes for membership and fundraising communications, including social media.
● Management and Operations. Builds teamwork in the management of staff and consultants to achieve organizational objectives. Responsibilities include fiscal and compliance oversight including budgeting, allocations of funding, filing of campaign finance reports and 501(c)(4) related tax documents.
Ruth’s List’s CEO must be committed to the values of the organization and dedicated to creating and stewarding relationships with internal and external constituencies that enable the successful, consistent delivery of its mission. Also, they should possess key attributes, including:
● Knowledge of Florida’s political landscape and relationships with political insiders/influencers.
● A deep commitment to and understanding of Ruth’s List’s mission.
● A proven track record of fundraising including major gifts and events. This must include demonstrable success in building dynamic relationships with key members of the community along with allied partners and the willingness to spend significant time cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major donors.
● An understanding of and strong appreciation for the legal status and external regulations related to a PAC and 501(C)(4) entities housed within the same organization.
● Superior written and oral communication skills.
● Experience with nonprofit organizations and a track record of effectively establishing and maintaining a productive relationship with a nonprofit Board of Directors.
● Proven leader who displays a strong ability to direct and motivate while building a consensus.
● Commands high degree of influence by inspiring confidence among staff, board members, donors, partner organizations, and other constituents.
● Tenacious and creative in the achievement of goals and objectives.
● Demonstrated ability to prepare and manage budgets and systems.
● Creative and practical problem solver.
● At least 10 years of relevant experience.
● College degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
● Willingness and availability to travel frequently for work throughout Florida.
Ruth’s List supports diversity and inclusion in the workplace and hopes to have a pool of applicants with different backgrounds, cultures and orientations who will broaden our perspective and experience.
All interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and three references to Bessie at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 18, 2020.